Learn to recognize signs of electrical problems in the home. Seemingly minor inconveniences like flickering lights could indicate a bigger issue that puts your family and home in danger. The signs of electrical problems below are among the most common and serious. Look out for these and other indications of electrical trouble. Call an electrician if you question the safety of your electrical system.
Warm Electrical Outlets
Almost all appliances generate heat during operation. However, outlets should never be hot to the touch. The only exception is dimmer switches, which naturally generate heat that warms the outlet. If you notice warm or hot outlets, disconnect any appliances and call an electrician for help.
Electrical Problems in the Home: Flickering Lights
Flickering lights are often ignored because it doesn’t seem like a serious issue. However, if they aren’t a problem with the light fixture, they suggest a loose electrical connection or even a problem within the circuit box.
A Burning Smell
When cords and wires become hot enough to create a burning smell, it’s time to take action before a fire or other mishap occurs. The smell is often caused when wires overheat and melt their protective plastic covering. Identify the source, if possible, and reach out to an electrician. He or she can troubleshoot the problem and make repairs.
Electrical currents can cause shocks or sparks from a faulty appliance, damaged electrical cord, or improperly installed outlet. Electrical shocks occur when wiring isn’t properly grounded and may result in damaged appliances, expensive electrical repairs, and even a fire.
Frayed Wiring Can Indicate Electrical Problems in the Home
Another common electrical problem that should never be ignored is frayed wiring. If you notice damaged or frayed wires, it’s time to replace the item or at least the cords. Never ignore damaged wires or power cords. Frayed wires increase the risk of shocks and are often a cause of house fires.
Learn the Signs of Electrical Problems in Your Home
Knowing the signs of electrical problems can help prevent injuries to family members and damage to the home. Call a professional at the first indication of trouble to protect your family and your property.