A: The electrical system in your home has to be sized based upon the weakest link in the entire system. For instance if you have a 200 amp meter on the outside of the home, a service wire that runs from the meter to the panel which is only rated to 70 amps and a 100 amp main breaker you have a 70 amp service. A lot of people would report that service is 100 amps in this case but it is only 70 amps because the weakest link is the service entrance wire. If you loaded the system up to 100 amps you would overload the 70 amp wire and possibly cause a fire. It takes experience to determine the weakest link so I suggest you hire a qualified electrical contractor or call the electrical inspector for your area.